A bit of handmade jewelry is on tap for today’s gift idea:
Soldering jewelry has never been SO easy. Truly.
- 100 Watt Soldering Iron (works best, but you can also make use out of whatever you happen to have in the toolbox)
- Lead-Free Solder — same stuff you find in the plumbing section at the home improvement store
- Metal Stamps (optional) (can be found at any home improvement store)
- Jewelry Findings/Repurposed Chain
These little silver stones are raw puddles of solder. Just hold your spool to the end of your hot soldering iron and let the puddle form onto a slick, hard (heat-tolerating) surface..such as a ceramic tile, piece of granite, etc.
- You can play around with different shapes, and make them as smooth or as irregular as you like….(hearts are pretty easy…just combine two teardrop shapes)
- To clean up any rough edges, use a file.
- Shine up with some steel wool and wax to finish/seal.
- These make beautiful pendants….(for very little $$). You could also just create a small bag of them that spell out a sentiment and present as just free form stones instead of a jewelry piece.
- To imbed something like a small piece of mosaic glass, place it on your work surface and then puddle the solder over top. Flip over to reveal.
Be free with it all, abandon the rules and have FUN with it! A unique gift every time.
Cheers my friends, to gifts that shine brightly from what you can create out of an inexpensive spool of plumbing solder.