A good frost puts an abrupt end to all the fun, overnight.
We got to harvest the last of the tomatoes before the snap of cold and found ourselves throwing all the ripe ones in the dehydrator to preserve. (Still have to contend with the green ones…tonight, maybe!?) With a new baby and work, there wasn’t a lot of time for canning or that right now, and I find myself hooked on the taste of the dried tomatoes, anyway. Seriously…they are SWEET, YUMMY and ADDICTING.
Yes, I’m falling more and more in love with the whole dehydrating process every day.
There are many benefits…
- Retains more of the nutritional makeup of the produce than some of the other methods.
- Less time consuming and less mess/cleanup. All I had to do was slice them, set them on a tray, turn on the dehydrator and walk away.
- They take up WAY less storage room than if I had canned them.
- The shelf life is longer.
- They make a delicious grab and go snack!
- They’re great for soups, pizzas, and toasted sandwiches throughout the winter.
- They’re also very pretty…..
Cheers to dried up food….lol!