What do you see when you go on hikes? Do you go out looking for something or are you just looking to savor the fresh air and absorb the fleeting moments for what they are as a whole and nothing more….with no expectations and no tangible takeaways?
I wish it could be that simple some days, but for some reason no matter where I go, whatever I do….I SEE things. Ideas and inspiration truly are everywhere and I always have this urgent (on the verge of obsessive) need to capture it in some way. To either jot the idea down, to take a picture, to archive it, to elaborate on it…to DO something with it.
Am I missing the whole Zen-‘ness’ of taking a nature hike by zeroing in on all the ‘active’ possibilities…….OR am I meant to be seeing these things and in turn doing something with what I saw? Heck, I don’t know…but I have to admit I do always feel a bit more satisfied with how time was spent when I actually walk away with captured ideas in some shape or fashion. There’s a sense of fullness.
My most recent hike had me zeroed in on the beautiful birch trees, and here’s what I saw and captured. Who knows what I’ll do with it, but I do feel better for having gotten it…!?
- these knots resemble ‘eyes’…and there’s even something eerie that could play well for Halloween or just be simple inspiration for a painting or piece of artwork.
- I was engrossed with how well preserved everyone’s handiwork was. We creative types are always searching for the most durable art medium that will hold up to the elements and well…..here are simple, primitive markings that are growing with the tree, standing the test of time, details preserved, and I would venture to guess….getting better with age.
- I see an amazing line of rustic furniture and home decor opportunities
- Who are all these people? What do they look like? What were they doing there? What’s their story?
- I loved the natural ‘striping’…the colors, the texture.
- And to the edge of one of the trails…a naturally beautiful chair.
So, I may have missed out on the whole relaxing intent of the hike…or is it that maybe we just relax in different ways…because to tell you the truth it was these images that truly invigorated me.
Cheers I guess…to open eyes and minds!